Language
Language is something that can keep everyone connected. However, reading Gloria Anzaldua's "How to Tame a Wild Tongue" made me feel that language turned into something that keeps people separated. The metaphor with the dentist seemed grossum and very dramatized for something like language. I am a first generation immigrant and I speak both English and Spanish and I did not really feel that me losing my accent was important. When I do speak in English I don't have an accent and some people can't tell if I speak Spanish at all and are shocked to see me speak Spanish. While on the other hand when I speak Spanish I have a full accent and there is no true tale that I speak English. Some English only speaking people have told me..."Do you speak English?" and I get the same response of shook when my accent disappears when speaking English. Most people are quick to assume and not take the times to see that speaking two languages or more is worth more than just speaking one. Anzaldua refers to many different languages she speaks and I can agree that proper English and Spanish are not the only languages I speak. I can speak a little french also English and Spanish slang. In my perspective people who only speak English are not worthwhile and are actually worth less than someone who can speak both English and Spanish. America is becoming a more diverse country that has many languages. Even now I feel that English, Spanish, and French is not enough, and I am trying to learn Japanese, Chinese, Arabian in my free time. What good would it be if you were an amazing accountant and knew how to explain everything in English, then one day where offered an amazing promotion in Japan but didn't know the language at all to be able to communicate with the natives there. Language is something that can connect us, not divide us. Anzaldua's perspective seems over dramatizes saying that a child must lose their Spanish accent when speaking English because it will hinder their ability to succeed in America. If anything the accent can help make feel others who aren't comfortable enough to speak English confine in you and speak Spanish or any language with you and make them feel safe.
Comments
Post a Comment