Latinx Studies

Question: What do you think Latinx Studies could be?
Answer: Latinx Studies could become a more diverse place that represents the minority of America. By having more classes that focus in on different subjects instead of having a class that tries to squeeze in everything in one semester. By focusing in on a subject like immigration a class could talk about the different migration routes that different Latinx groups took to get to America wither it was through legal ways or not. Another subcategory that could be beneficial to have its own class would be Race and Ethnicity especially since in America people of Latinx are categorized into a certain group that ignores them. Something that I've experienced is when filling out any kind of informational I'm asked about my race and ethnicity and for one it was always saying Hispanic/another form one but for race there is never anything for Latinx people and when I ask they look at me and say, "Well you look white so fill in the white section for that one". I don't consider myself white at all. Latinx could be a place that gives everyone information about Latinx countries and how they live and the culture behind what they believe. Latinx could be so much more with funding and amazing professors that educate people just like the African & Caribbean department due to African American culture. However, that won't be possible without professors willing to put in the time and effort and the amount of money that gives to special opportunities such as field trips and special guest speakers like the ones we had this semester. Experiences like that help to go outside the classroom and see what we learn in action and how those things have affected people. That's what I believe Latinx Studies could be.

Comments

Popular Posts